Castle House & History Click to Book !
An Historic Location
Castle House enjoys a setting shared with the 3 jewels of Denbigh’s heritage crown, The Castle, Leicester’s Church and the Ancient Town Walls.
Castle House is set within the tranquil grounds of Plas Castell Estate.
Gardens and Views
There are 2 acres of landscaped gardens, with lawns, shrubs, fish pond, heather beds and croquet lawn. Seating and tables afford wonderful views of the Clwydians and make a perfect place to take time out from the hustle and bustle of a busy life, slow down and reflect on the more natural side of life whilst enjoying an alfresco breakfast, cream tea or evening snifter!
Private Woodland and Local walks
The main drive runs for 1/3 mile through our ancient woodlands that surround Denbigh Castle. Owls, woodpeckers and many more species of birds are to be found here. For walkers there are many interesting local walks, Dr Johnson and Beatrix Potter have local connections with Denbigh, and 2 local walks take these subjects into account. See http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/may/20/gowalk.guardianspecial53
A Piece of History in Our Back Garden
Within our grounds are Leicester’s Church, the unfinished Cathedral built by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, lover of Queen Elizabeth I in 1587, the aim was to replace the Catholic Cathedral in St. Asaph, it was never completed, and is incorrectly referred to as ruins!
Private Access To The Town Walls
At the bottom of the garden is access to the ancient town walls, built c1280 as extended fortifications to the castle, there is a walk along these walls that stretches for some 500yds. Where the Salient, 30 metre Goblin and Countess towers, remains of a draw bridge and portcullis are evident. Goblin tower used to house a well that enabled the town to survive in time of siege. Unspoilt views of the mountains are another feature of this gentle yet rewarding walk.
Images and information on the Town Walls as well as the castle can be found here.
Denbigh Castle is next door!
Sheltered from the town by the Castle and Leicester’s Church, Castle House has the feel of being in the middle of the country side, yet benefits from being a short walk to the town centre where shops, library, banks, pubs and restaurants are to be found.
Castle House and History
Castle House itself was constructed around1720 as a gentleman’s residence, Emily Fazakerley who owned it during the 19th. Century was responsible for many of the Victorian embellishments and additions, under the ownership of the famous Gee printer’s family it was visited by many famous local politicians, and by Lloyd George (prime minister 1916 - 1922). In the 1920s Howells School purchased Castle House as a boarding house, until it was sold off in 1985. Since then it has been used as a private dwelling until Charlie & Angie Hobson converted it into a luxury B&B in 2009.
Castle House is a grade 2 listed heritage building, with grand rooms, high ceilings, ornate covings and ceiling decorations, outstanding views, listed fireplaces and staircase.
Castle House Today
Castle House has been brought up to date by our recent renovations, to include ensuite bathrooms with powerful showers, under floor heating and floor lighting.
All the rooms are light, spacious and graceful, the bedrooms are each individually designed and magnificently appointed there is a romantic lounge and a graceful dining room, both having open fire places with log fires, this graceful feel is reflected by the warm and personal welcome and approach to comfort and style that Charlie & Angie offer to our guests, our aim is to provide unparalleled comfort, style, luxury and pampering served up in a friendly and informal style to make your stay a special treat.
Castle House: Indulgent, Luxurious, Different, much more than just B&B.